Marriage in Sweden

If you hold a residence permit and have a permanent Swedish ID-number (personnummer), the local tax office (Skatteverket) should be able to help you with the documents related to the marriage procedures. Please check with them first.

If you are not a permanent resident, or if your marital status cannot be confirmed by the Skatteverket for some reason, you will need to apply for a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) at the Consulate General. In order to obtain a CNI you will have to swear or affirm an affidavit or affirmation before the Consul. There is a fee payable for this service (see below). You are advised to contact the Consulate General to obtain further advice, and, if applicable, to arrange an appointment for giving notice of marriage.

The documents that you will normally be asked to bring are:

Certificate of No Impediment, Application form (pdf, 198 kb)
Declaration before Notary Public Bachelor's / Spinster's Certificate, Application form (pdf, 229 kb)

Fee (as of 11 November 2010)
The consular fee for this service is SEK 350.00. We accept cash and credit card (Visa or Mastercard) payments.
Please contact the Consulate General for further information.